Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: District of Columbia
Carnegie Science seeks a Development Officer, Major Gifts to help build a fundraising program to support its scientific community. The Development Officer will collaborate with other development staff and institutional partners to help grow the culture of philanthropy across Carnegie Science. Other members of the development team include the Chief Development Officer, Associate Director of Advancement Services, Senior Manager of Individual Giving, Senior Manager of Foundation Relations, and Manager of Strategic Development Events. The Development Officer will engage with Carnegie’s donors, prospects, and other stakeholders to expand the institution’s existing portfolio of donors, helping to develop the pipeline of major and principal gifts. Discovery work is a significant component of the position, offering an opportunity to establish and deepen relationships that benefit the institution.
Development and Engagement
- Contribute to the development of the major gifts pipeline by leveraging relationships with donors, supporters, scientists, staff, and others.
- Execute thoughtful moves management and interactions that deepen relationships, increase giving, and move donors up the giving ladder.
- Participate in efforts to deepen individual donor engagement in Carnegie Science, including opportunities for donors to participate in prospect identification.
- Identify, pursue, and develop relationships that lay the groundwork for 5-, 6-, and 7-figure solicitations.
- Move prospects through the donor continuum by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors to successfully close gifts.
- Build relationships with donors and prospects via personal visits, phone calls, ongoing written contact, and events.Collaborate with other development partners to understand the philanthropic interests and priorities of constituents and help them realize their philanthropic potential as supporters of Carnegie Science.
- Participate in activities that help meet the goals and objectives of the development team, including attendance at institution-wide meetings, departmental community lectures, scientific presentations given by department scientists, as well as at other engagements.
- Build awareness of Carnegie Science to foster donors in the philanthropic community.
- Work with leadership and colleagues to craft appropriate and consistent messaging regarding Carnegie Science’s fundraising.
The ideal Development Officer, Major Gifts will excel at engaging prospects, supporters, and stakeholders. The Development Officer will play a primary role in articulating the mission of Carnegie Science to engage donors in philanthropic support. The Development Officer will need to know how to build strong relationships through donor engagement.
- At least three to five years of experience in non-profit development; experience, or strong and genuine interest, in science is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Skills and Accomplishments
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to build a major donor pipeline and implement best practices of donor stewardship.
- Record of securing gifts and pledges from major donors.
- Experience meeting the needs of stakeholders, both internal and external, and responding to them proactively.
- Demonstrated ability to guide, manage, and support volunteers and other stakeholders in the fundraising process.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for individual giving.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with high-net-worth individuals.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, flexible, collegial, goal-oriented and scientific environment.
- Exceptional organizational skills and judgement to manage competing priorities and long-term projects.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and donor tracking software (preferably SalesForce).
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Commitment to the mission of Carnegie Science
Questions, résumés, and CVs should be sent to: http://driconsulting.com/position/development-officer-major-gifts-carnegie/