Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
Job Title: Executive Assistant to the General Counsel
Reports to: General Counsel
Location: Washington, DC
Formerly known as the Carnegie Institution of Washington, the Carnegie Institution for Science is a U.S.-based non‐profit, private endowment headquartered in Washington, DC. Andrew Carnegie founded the Carnegie Institution of Washington in 1902 as an organization for scientific discovery to serve as a home to exceptional individuals—men and women—with imagination and extraordinary dedication capable of working at the cutting edge of their fields. Today, Carnegie scientists work in six scientific departments on the West and East Coasts. Carnegie investigators are leaders in the fields of plant biology, developmental biology, Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy, and global ecology.
Executive Assistant to the General Counsel
The Carnegie Institution for Science is seeking an Executive Assistant to support the General Counsel. This role will provide senior level executive administrative support to the General Counsel while prioritizing and supervising day-to-day administrative operations of the Office of the General Counsel. Responsibilities include the following:
- Manage workflow for legal, Intellectual Property and Board activities
- Assist the General Counsel with all Board of Trustees responsibilities including meeting logistics and preparation of meeting materials. Disseminate documentation related to board activities using a variety of electronic means, including the electronic board portal.
- Support the General Counsel and legal team by assisting with daily activities and special projects such as the creation and maintenance of legal and regulatory documents and files.
- Responsible for handling extremely confidential material and using appropriate discretion for a wide variety of legal and Board of Trustees matters.
- Manages key projects and initiatives for the General Counsel
- Coordinate large projects including: planning, development, process evaluation, implementation and on-time delivery of projects.
- Create and review correspondence and materials for internal and external audiences.
- Manage General Counsel’s calendar and monitor commitments for the Office of the General Counsel.
- Track and execute reporting and filing requirements.
- Work collaboratively with a variety of departments across the Institution. Act as a liaison with these areas to coordinate efforts to meet Board meeting and other deadlines.
- Assist with Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer activities.
- Track expenditures and revenues and prepare reports. Prepare invoices and distribution of revenue.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel.
Education and Experience
- 5+ yrs. of executive level assistant experience. Most recent position preferably supporting a General Counsel and/or Corporate Secretary.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with creating and managing electronic board materials including proficiency in creating and deploying board books and maintaining resources.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Experience with calendaring, organizing meetings and events and making travel arrangements.
- Superior planning, organizational, analytical and project management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time including managing multiple clients and deadlines.
- Strong proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel. Working knowledge of Google Suite.
- Able to exercise good judgment and remain solution-oriented across a variety of situations.
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience interacting with executives, directors and clients/vendors.
- Ability to communicate and present clearly, both verbally and in writing in an informal and persuasive manner to multiple constituencies (including administrative and technology transfer offices at universities and search organizations)
- Highest degree of ethics and integrity
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.
Please apply by clicking on the below link:
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.