Department: HQ – Headquarters
Salary: Compensation is competitive and will commensurate with work experience and skills
Location: Washington, DC
Facilities Manager (Headquarters)
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Formerly known as the Carnegie Institution of Washington, the Carnegie Institution for Science is a U.S.-based non-profit, private research institution headquartered in Washington, DC. Andrew Carnegie founded the Carnegie Institution of Washington in 1902 as an organization for scientific discovery to serve as a home to exceptional individuals—men and women—with imagination and extraordinary dedication capable of working at the cutting edge of their fields. Today, Carnegie scientists work in six scientific departments on the West and East Coasts. Carnegie investigators are leaders in the fields of plant biology, developmental biology, Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy, and global ecology.
The Facilities Manager position is responsible for all aspects of the operation and maintenance of the building and facilities of the Carnegie Institution for Science Headquarters, including 24/7 emergency response to critical issues
- Negotiate contracts and provide supervision of a variety of contracted support services required to maintain the facilities, to include, but not limited to:
- Building Management systems
- Telephone and voice/data cabling systems
- Water, Gas, Plumbing
- Janitorial, Trash
- Supervise and train Facilities staff.
- Develop and manage preventative maintenance programs for facilities infrastructure and equipment, using in-house staff or outside contracted support, as required.
- Provide construction management for both minor and major construction projects.
- Generate Request for Proposal documents in order to select appropriate vendors and make cost effective purchases of equipment, supplies and services.
- Review utilities consumption and develop energy and GHG reduction plan.
- Serve as P Street Safety Officer and oversee building security.
- Work with Department Facilities Managers to develop Institution-wide emergency management programs and procedures for environmental protection and occupational safety.
- Provide 24/7 emergency response to critical issues.
Minimum (Basic) Qualifications:
- Facilities Manager degree and/or IFMA certification preferred
- 3-5 years of facilities management experience
- High level knowledge of HVAC, Boilers, Chillers, Air Handlers, Plumbing, Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Knowledge of OSHA and emergency management procedures
- 1-2 years of experience managing facilities management staff
Additional (Valued) Qualifications:
- Experience working within an academic or research institution
- Ability and skill to read and interpret blueprints and electrical schematics
- HVAC and building systems controls knowledge/certification
- OSHA 10-Hour Certification
ALL JOB DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS ARE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please. Please apply by clicking on the below link:
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.