Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Carnegie Institution for Science was founded in 1902 as an organization for scientific discovery. Carnegie is located in Washington, D.C., with three research divisions on both coasts of the United States and Las Campanas Observatory in Chile.
Today Carnegie scientists are leaders in the life and environmental sciences, Earth and planetary science, and astronomy and astrophysics. They seek answers to questions about the structure of the universe, the formation of our Solar System and other worlds around distant stars, the behavior and transformation of matter when subjected to extreme conditions, the systems and cycles that govern Earth’s processes, and the synergy of molecules that make life possible.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Information Systems, the Endpoint Systems Administrator will play a key role in the selection and rollout of device management services to the entire institution for both PC and Mac. This person will be responsible for configuring and testing zero-touch OS and application deployments, automating endpoint workflows, updating managed applications and OS security update packages. We seek an individual that is comfortable working with multiple IT teams to ensure device management services are consistently deployed, secured, and provide the needed flexibility when required. The Endpoint Systems Administrator will support the device management services on the PC and Mac endpoints of up to 500+ employee devices. This is a new position within the Carnegie IT services organization.
This position will be onsite five days a week in Washington, D.C. In the event of COVID restrictions this role will work remotely and then move to 100% onsite when restrictions are lifted.
Carnegie Science is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in science. Candidates who will foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace are strongly encouraged to apply.
Implement and maintain efficient/automated client support systems (e.g., device management for Mac & Windows, OS & application security updates, automated application installations, remote support systems, endpoint security client management, password management system).
- Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems images, application software, security updates, and endpoint system management tools.
- Strong understanding of GPOs to configure Windows systems.
- Recommend standard configurations to optimize performance.
- Develop and maintain IT support self-help and endpoint system configuration documentation.
- Provide daily break/fix and meeting support to 50 full-time staff.
- Experience supporting Enterprise collaboration tools (Google Workspace/Office 365).
- Record requests, issues, and solutions using service ticketing software. Keep all tickets and projects updated and track time in a detailed format.
Specialized Skills Required
- Minimum of 3 years support experience with at least 1 year focused on device management technologies.
- Experience with deployment and management tools: JAMF, WSUS, Intune, and SmartDeploy.
- Ability to write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks.
- Experience supporting anti-virus/endpoint security management software.
Basic Knowledge in enterprise network components, including firewalls, network monitoring, wireless technologies, DNS, DHCP, VLANS, and a solid understanding of network protocols are beneficial.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level with PowerShell and bash scripting.
- Reliable, on-time, personable, and customer-focused.
- Experience in a service-oriented and collaborative work environment
- Willingness to develop new skills (e.g., VMware, networking, security management).
- Demonstrated desire to learn independently and on the job
- Very detail-oriented in planning, implementation, documentation, and follow-up.
- The ability to work completely independently or with a team
- The ability to multi-task and work across a range of projects and issues with various timelines and priorities
- A commitment to an inclusive workplace that welcomes the contributions of a diverse community
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. This position offers a comprehensive benefits package including retirement, health benefits, vacation, and sick leave including company paid holidays.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both a cover letter and resume will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.