Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
The IT Support Technician is a front-line professional with exemplary customer service, provides technical support for HQ Carnegie Science employees through the Carnegie Science Help Desk – in person, via telephone, and with remote support tools. Support includes troubleshooting and maintaining personal computers, software, printers and associated peripherals in a managed network environment. Tracks and manages workload through ticket management software. This position will also have an Audio-Visual support role that provides meeting support to our conference center for Carnegie and non-Carnegie events.
- Document and provide first contact response to IT support requests.
- Provides AV meeting presentation support using multiple technologies including: VTC, HDMI, VGA, casting, and room PC presentations.
- Utilize IT service management system to record and escalate tickets as required.
- Deploy new computing hardware using imaging and deployment tools.
- Places software into production by loading software into computer; entering necessary commands; using deployment technologies.
- Places hardware into production by establishing connections; entering necessary commands; using deployment technologies.
- Advises customers on the use of hardware and productivity software; trains new hire users on IT services; interprets instructions; answers questions.
- Utilizes reference documents to assist and educate customers.
- Maintains asset records by documenting hardware and software changes and revisions.
- Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Information Systems is preferred. Minimum three years of experience providing general Help Desk and desktop support on Windows operating systems in a managed desktop environment required. Minimum three years of experience working with Active Directory required. Experience with enterprise imaging and updating tools required. Experience with Macs, Apple IOS and Android mobile devices highly desirable. At least one Microsoft certification MCDST, MCTS, MCP, MCSE, A+, CCNA, HP or other IT certification preferred.
Demonstrated ability to absorb and appropriately apply technical knowledge in a structured manner to complex end-user problems, often involving the interaction of hardware, software, and networks. Understanding of important operating system and network concepts such as group policy, Active Directory Administration, computer hardware/drivers, and client server communications. Ability to juggle and track a variety of tasks. Strong knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, desktop applications. Strong customer service orientation; good written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail and accuracy. Available for working rotating shifts and weekends.