Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
Lab Technician (Part-time)
The Carnegie Academy for Science Education (CASE) is Carnegie Science’s K-12 education arm and is housed within the institution’s headquarters. CASE’s mission to enhance the education of DC children in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), through a variety of programs for students and their teachers, each with a common goal: to empower children to ask questions, sharpen their analytical skills, develop leadership and general life skills and broaden their educational and career horizons.
Since 1989 CASE programs has served more than 800 students and 1,000 teachers in DC. CASE’s STEM Kits program has trained 70 teachers have been trained and 1,500 students have developed skills to handle tools and equipment used in modern research laboratories. CASE was recently named Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE)’s new partner. ABE is an innovative science education program that provides teacher professional development, curriculum materials, and research-grade equipment and supplies to secondary schools. The program features a hands-on molecular biology curriculum designed to introduce students to the excitement of scientific discovery.
CASE is seeking a Lab Technician to prepare biotech kits for classroom use. Kit preparation includes creating reagents, assembling supplies, and aliquoting materials. The Lab Technician will train high school interns, assist in training high school teachers in basic laboratory research techniques (using the ABE curriculum), assist in implementing the biotechnology program in schools, and support CASE’s education programs. Position is part-time during the school year (approximately 10 hours per week) and may lead to full-time employment in the summer. Compensation based on experience.
Skills and Other Requirements:
- Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory skills and concepts (required)
- Ability and history of establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective relationships working with individuals from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds
- Adaptable, able to think on feet, strategic problem solver, multi-tasker, organized, and goal-oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Instructional, lab materials and equipment procurement experience (preferred)
- Experience in outreach or teaching in a school or out-of-school environment (preferred)
- At least two years of college in a biological science field required
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM field (preferred)
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please. Please apply by clicking on the below link:
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.