Department: DGE – Global Ecology
Location: Stanford, CA
Provides high level administrative support to the Department of Global Ecology (DGE). Responsible for the day-to-day and long-term management of the Department and the coordination of activities with internal and external constituents. This is a part time position.
- Manage DGE seminars (both internal and external), including contacting seminar speakers, gathering information, preparing announcements, managing meetings with speakers, generating ideas for non-science lunch topics, and managing travel and lodging for seminar speakers.
- Support incoming faculty, postdocs, and students including arranging travel and lodging, helping them navigate Carnegie systems, and finding local resources.
- Support DGE faculty as needs arise.
- Facilitate events for the department, both virtual and in person, which may include items such as catering, purchasing gifts, organizing social events, and supporting planning and logistics for workshops and meetings.
- Coordinate space use within DGE, including coordinating space / desk assignments across labs and ensuring that building use is consistent with COVID protocols.
- Miscellaneous additional tasks including but not limited to taking meeting minutes, maintaining DGE lobby poster of current staff, updating DGE calendar, and posting relevant email announcements to Slack.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, providing administrative support in a high professional work environment.
- Ability to deal appropriately with confidential information and work independently.
- High levels of organization, reliability, trustworthiness, intelligence, communication skills, and motivation.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, spelling, and adequate typing skills.
- Experience in managing multiple calendars, and planning meetings and travel arrangements.
- Highly empathetic, collegial and service-oriented with strong customer service skills and ability to collaborate with a diverse group of internal and external people.
- Familiarity with technology applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat as well as an ability to learn new technologies as needed.
- Self-motivated and self-directed person with a helping personality, able to achieve job satisfaction by helping a team be more successful.
Application Documents & Submission: Applicants should submit (1) a cover letter with names of at least three references and (2) a curriculum vitae. Questions about these positions can be addressed to Clare Tuma, Human Resources Business Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials must be submitted through Carnegie’s online application portal: https://jobs.carnegiescience.edu/jobs/dge.
Employer Information: Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks. The Carnegie Institution for Science is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive. Carnegie Science does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
The Carnegie Science Mission Statement: Andrew Carnegie established a unique organization dedicated to scientific discovery “to encourage, in the broadest and most liberal manner, investigation, research, and discovery and the application of knowledge to the improvement of mankind …” The philosophy was and is to devote the institution’s resources to “exceptional” individuals so that they can explore the most intriguing scientific questions in an atmosphere of complete freedom. Carnegie and his trustees realized that flexibility and independence were essential to the institution’s success and that tradition is the foundation of the institution today as it supports basic scientific research. Learn more at https://carnegiescience.edu/why-carnegie.