Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
Carnegie Institution for Science is a U.S.-based non-profit, private institution headquartered in Washington, DC. Carnegie scientists work in five scientific departments on the West and East Coasts under three divisions of Earth, Life and Space. Carnegie investigators are leaders in the fields of plant biology, developmental biology, Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy, and global ecology. Carnegie is an endowed, independent, nonprofit institution.
The Senior HR Operations Specialist is a key contributor to both long- and short-term HR operational objectives, with responsibilities spanning from the planning and execution of institution-wide programs and initiatives such as employee onboarding, international employee sponsorship, relocations services, and policy and procedure development to serving as an escalation point for complex day-to-day HR matters. This role will also provide dedicated general HR support and advisory services to assigned departments across the institution.
- Support various institution-wide HR initiatives and programs in various stages of evolution such as, performance management, training and development, policy and procedure development, HR data analytics, and continuous process improvement
- Manage the application and documentation process for international employees working under a Visa sponsorship
- Act as a primary point of contact for third parties to ensure efficient delivery of HR services
- Research and resolve escalated HR-related questions and issues in a timely manner, prioritizing based on urgency, and partnering with team members within HR and cross-functionally to achieve full resolution
- Monitor HR’s achievement against operational objectives, proactively identify opportunities for efficiencies, and work with HR and Carnegie Leadership to implement solutions that streamline operations
- Oversee the management of employee records in the HRIS system, perform periodic audits of demographic, job related, or other changes within the system
- Ensure all required employee documentation is complete and accessible; perform regular reviews to ensure recordkeeping compliance
- Serve as an advisor to assigned departments on HR related matters
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field
- 5+ years Human Resources experience
- Additional HR training a plus
- Familiarity with Ceridian Dayforce HRIS system
- Prior experience managing international work Visas such as H1B
- Professional Certification in Human Resources
- Masters degree in Human Resources or a related field
- Knowledge of or ability to learn labor and employment laws
- Ability to interpret human resources guidelines and procedures
- Organizational skills with superb attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential or sensitive information tactfully
- Team player with a customer service focus and an aptitude for problem solving
To Apply: To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.
At Carnegie, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We believe academic environments should be places where diverse groups of people with a variety of viewpoints and ideas can thrive and work together. As such, we encourage applicants from under-represented groups and backgrounds to apply.
Carnegie Institution for Science is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.