Department: OBS – Observatories (must click to see jobs)
Location: Pasadena, CA
The Carnegie Institution for Science was founded in 1902 on the principle that powerful results can be achieved when great scientists have the freedom and resources to follow their curiosity, pursue novel ideas, and tackle big questions that capture their imaginations and inspire their best work. Carnegie Institution has remained at the forefront of scientific discovery since its founding. Its willingness to find and nurture exceptional scientific talent has led to world-changing advances and the discovery of new areas of science.
Carnegie Institution for Science is looking for a dynamic Director, Human Resources. The Institution is undergoing rapid change with an expansion in Pasadena, CA as well as a modernization effort on HR practices and systems. This leadership role will be a key partner to the President in navigating these changes.
The Director, based in Washington, D.C or Pasadena, CA, will oversee the human resources functions for approximately 500 employees including employee relations, leadership and organizational development, culture, compensation and benefits, and HR operations. The Director will also be a key partner on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters to advance workforce diversity, employment equity and create a culture of inclusion within the Institution.
The Director will be a confidante and the senior advisor to the COO, senior management team and the Board of Directors to develop the HR strategy for the Institution and implement detailed initiatives.
Specifically, this position will be required to:
- Collaborate with the COO, President and senior leadership team to execute business driven human capital strategies including developing a highly engaged workforce that is in alignment with the institution overall people strategy.
- Act as a principal contributor of HR strategy and process, ensuring that the company possesses the requisite HR talent, systems, policies, training and development programs to meet the institution’s people and financial goals.
- Shape a learning culture that drives learning and leadership development with a focus on succession pipelines.
- Use HR driven data with concrete metrics to manage and implement changes for improvement.
- Develop a compensation and benefits strategy that will attract, develop and retain employees.
- Collaborates with local Human Resources staff located in Chile, South America as well as keeping current with Federal and State Employment laws in all of Carnegie’s locations.
- Deliver a consistent message on employment brand, demonstrating commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
- Ensure a high-performing HR organization that delivers, solutions and value to the employees and the business
- Work closely with senior leadership and key stakeholders on Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to support a strategy that fosters a culture of inclusion and a highly engaged workforce.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management or a related discipline. Masters’ degree in HR, Business Administration or related field preferred. Related HR certification (PHR, SPHR, CP SCP) a plus.
- 15 years of HR experience with a minimum of 5 years as a senior leader
- Board experience, having worked with and presented to the Board on Compensation, Talent and succession planning.
- Expertise across the spectrum of HR tools and disciplines. Knowledge and leadership of organizational effectiveness and HR functions with generalist experience and exposure to the core HR functions.
- Experience in developing metrics that help define and improve the services provided by the HR team.
- Previous experience within a non-profit or research/academic institution with multi -state location is preferred.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both a cover letter and resume will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.