Department: DTM – Terrestrial Magnetism
Location: Carnegie Science, DTM, 5241 Broad Branch Road, N.W., Washington, DC 20015
We are seeking a talented individual to fill the post of Instrument Maker. The machine shop supports scientific staff members and their groups to create, modify, and build research related equipment and instrumentation, using precision mill, lathe, grinders and EDM equipment. The field of investigation of the department covers an interdisciplinary team of astronomers and astrophysicists, geophysicists, geochemists, cosmochemists and planetary scientists.
Position Requirements and Duties:
- Aptitude for tool room practices/metalworking standards/machine shop safety procedures
- Experience with tooling/fixture design/ set-up
- Operation and knowledge of manual and CNC tool room equipment
- Sheet metal and welding experience a plus
- Use precision measurement equipment, proficient in shop mathematics
- Read shop prints / mechanical drawing
- Work with various types of metals, nonferrous and plastics
- Test instrumentation to determine conformance to specifications
- Interact with scientific staff to determine requirements and specifications of submitted jobs
- Communicate with staff any requirements or problems faced with the development, improvement, or repair of assigned jobs
- Participate in our mentorship program
- Other duties, functions and jobs as required assisting the scientific staff on the campus.
BS Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent work experience; knowledge of and ability to operate various types of sophisticated production machinery; ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral; highly motivated individual who is capable of exhibiting good judgment and work independently on scheduled projects, seeing them through to completion; prior experience in a research environment a plus.
Ability to problem solve individually as well as part of a team. Interact effectively and maintain a good working relationship with a diverse group of individuals at all levels of the organization.
Please submit your application through the Apply Now link below. Along with your resume, please include a cover letter with the names of at least three people who can be contacted for letters of reference.
Carnegie Institution is an Equal Opportunity Employer with excellent benefits. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.