Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
Formerly known as the Carnegie Institution of Washington, the Carnegie Institution for Science is a U.S.-based non-profit, private research institution headquartered in Washington, DC. Andrew Carnegie founded the Carnegie Institution of Washington in 1902 as an organization for scientific discovery to serve as a home to exceptional individuals—men and women—with imagination and extraordinary dedication capable of working at the cutting edge of their fields. Today, Carnegie scientists work in six scientific departments on the West and East Coasts. Carnegie investigators are leaders in the fields of plant biology, developmental biology, Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy, and global ecology.
The Facilities Manager in conjunction with the Chief Engineer, is responsible for operation and maintenance of the building and facilities of the Carnegie Institution for Science Headquarters, including 24/7 emergency response to critical issues. Ensures facilities are structurally sound, operationally efficient, well maintained, and safe.
- In conjunction with Chief Engineer, negotiate contracts and provide supervision of a variety of contracted support services required to maintain the facilities, to include, but not limited to:
- Fire Systems
- Building Management systems
- Telephone and voice/data cabling systems
- Water, Gas, Plumbing
- Janitorial, Trash
- Supervise and train Facilities and building operations staff.
- Manage preventative maintenance programs for facilities infrastructure and equipment, using in-house staff or outside contracted support, as required.
- Maintain and orders equipment necessary for building operations.
- Provide construction management for both minor and major construction projects.
- Generate Request for Proposal documents in order to select appropriate vendors and make cost effective purchases of equipment, supplies and services.
- Serve as P Street Safety Officer and oversee building security.
- Work with Department Facilities Managers to develop Institution-wide emergency management programs and procedures for environmental protection and occupational safety.
- Work with events staff to ensure facility is prepared for visitors and events. Oversee furniture set-up for events.
- Oversee HQ parking policy and assignments.
- Oversee administrative and visitor operations.
- Provide 24/7 emergency response to critical issues.
Minimum (Basic) Qualifications:
- Facilities Manager degree and/or IFMA certification preferred
- 3-5 years of facilities management experience
- Working knowledge of Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Knowledge of OSHA and emergency management procedures
- 1-2 years of experience managing facilities management staff
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, stand for prolonged periods, and perform work in elevated and/or confined spaces
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
Additional (Valued) Qualifications:
- Experience working within an academic or research institution
- Ability and skill to read and interpret blueprints and electrical schematics
- Building systems controls knowledge/certification
- OSHA 10-Hour Certification
ALL JOB DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS ARE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION.
Compensation is competitive and will be commensurate with work experience and skills.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.
Please apply by clicking on the below link:
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.