Department: HQ – Headquarters
Salary: Competitive; Commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Carnegie Institution for Science is a U.S.-based non-profit, private endowment headquartered in Washington. Founded in 1902 as an organization for scientific discovery to serve as a home to exceptional individuals—men and women—with imagination and extraordinary dedication capable of working at the cutting edge of their fields. Today, Carnegie scientists work in six scientific departments on the West and East Coasts. Carnegie investigators are leaders in the fields of plant biology, developmental biology, Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy, and global ecology.
The Carnegie Institution for Science seeks a Finance Systems Manager that provides system support and data analysis for Carnegie Science’s Finance Department. Reporting directly to the Controller, the manager works under limited supervision to identify opportunities for improving business processes through information systems and aligning user needs with appropriate technical solutions. Initially the manager will be dedicated to overseeing the development and rollout of Finance digital systems and our conversion to Oracle NetSuite ERP. This position will guide implementation teams on system functional requirements & best practices, process development, integrations, and automation with best-of-breed software, not limited to Salesforce, Adaptive Insights, Ceridian Dayforce, Microsoft Power BI, and Certify.
A successful candidate will have strong communication and project management skills, working closely with Finance and IT teams on system planning, testing & readiness, deployment, and routine support & training. This role gathers, presents, and catalogues customer business needs and business requirements, and partners with senior team members to implement technical solutions. This position helps to identify best practices and makes recommendations for how to improve current practices while ensuring a high degree of quality control and oversight over established practices. Candidates should have strong, demonstrated experience in ERP applications, business analysis and management.
- Serve as a lead SME on finance digital transformation initiatives providing oversight to the development and implementation of systems, tools and reporting
- Lead administration, maintenance, and customer support of Oracle NetSuite ERP while participating as a lead role in its implementation and conversion from legacy systems and manual processes
- Oversee data governance and quality control by monitoring the quality and fitness of data assets, systems usage, accessibility, and security. Research, document and resolve technical issues related to systems
- Facilitate the creation and lead the design and execution of Financial reports and dashboards based on business requirements and by utilizing Oracle NetSuite tools, SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power BI or similar tools; maintain setup of reporting based on Carnegie’s changing needs and backlog of use cases (eg cash flow, net asset roll forward)
- Lead and participate in process improvement activities to increase the effectiveness, accuracy, and efficiency of the financial functions organization wide
- Evaluate functionality and suggest system enhancements to achieve optimum system performance and to streamline processes within a culture of continuous process improvement
- Define requirements, scope and objectives related to overall business strategies and translating business requirements into finance systems’ solutions
- Participate in month-end /year-end close through management of all system driven activities requiring quality control and oversight such as organization-wide allocations such as indirect costs, effort allocation, and currency adjustments
- Research, troubleshoot, and mitigate transactional and other finance system issues
- Perform business systems and workflow analysis, and disseminate non-technical communications
- Provide a high level of service to multiple constituents including senior leadership, scientific staff, and administrative staff
- Train and mentor staff, create user guides and training curriculum, and lead execution of other pertinent documentation for internal and external partners
- Collaborate with the IT team, business management, external consultants, end users and other stakeholders
- Provide vendor relationship management of finance systems
- Initiate requests and interact with ERP vendor support teams as needed to resolve routine technical issues related to system responsibilities
Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Education, Experience and Required Skills:
- Minimum B.S. degree in Accounting, information systems and design or similar technical degree
- 3-5 years’ experience working in an accounting or auditing department required; 2-3 years of non-profit accounting is preferred
- Minimum 3–5 years’ experience in ERP administration and proficiency in SAP, Oracle NetSuite (or similar cloud ERP)
- Understanding of GAAP and non-profit fund accounting
- Highly skilled in using MS Excel spreadsheets and comfort with large data sets
- Great organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible team player
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative and service-oriented fashion.
- Ability to speak both business process and technical process based on the audience that you are addressing, supporting or working with.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple projects in parallel on an ongoing basis.
- Active CPA license
- Master’s degree in related area
- PMP desired, or basic Project Management skills that demonstrate your ability to build, manage and execute upon a plan – both in terms of self-management as well as working with small process improvement teams
- Experience with Big 4 Accounting Firm
- Experience with Oracle NetSuite, Microsoft Dynamics NAV (formerly Navision), Ceridian, Salesforce, Certify, PyanGo, eXtendTech, Adaptive Insights is a plus
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please.
At Carnegie, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We believe academic environments should be places where diverse groups of people with a variety of viewpoints and ideas can thrive and work together. As such, we encourage applicants from under-represented groups and backgrounds to apply.
The Carnegie Institution is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other protected group status.