Department: EPL – Earth and Planets Laboratory
Location: Washington, DC
CARNEGIE INSTITUTION FOR SCIENCE
Vacancy Announcement–Isotope Geochemistry Laboratory Manager
The Carnegie Institution for Science’s Earth & Planets Laboratory (EPL) invites applications for the position of laboratory manager for the isotope geochemistry clean laboratory. EPL, a recent combination of the Institution’s Geophysical Laboratory and Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, focuses on studies in geochemistry/cosmochemistry, geophysics, experimental petrology, and astronomy/planetary science. The Carnegie Institution has a deep commitment to scientific excellence and diversity; we strongly encourage applications from candidates who will enrich and foster a culturally diverse and inclusive environment.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Maintenance of the clean wet-chemistry laboratory for radiogenic and stable isotope studies
- Assistance in development and refinement of chemical techniques for use of thermal ionization and inductively-coupled plasma mass spectrometers
- Supervision of new users of chemistry facilities
- M.S. or Ph.D. in geology, geochemistry, or a similar scientific discipline
- Evidence of isotope geochemistry lab experience
- Commitment to a collegial and inclusive workplace
As time allows, independent research is encouraged. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, and names of 3 references through the Carnegie job site. Review and consideration of applicants will begin after November 1st, 2020. Informal inquiries and questions about this position should be sent to the search committee chair, Steven Shirey at this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only complete applications submitted via this website will be considered.
The prospective employee will work at the Earth and Planets Laboratory, Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, DC. The Carnegie Institution for Science is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. This is an FLSA Exempt position.