Department: EPL – Earth and Planets Laboratory
Location: Washington D.C.
Earth and Planets Laboratory (EPL), Carnegie Institution for Science, is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to study the high-pressure-temperature behavior of planetary core materials. As part of our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, we encourage applicants from underrepresented groups and backgrounds and applicants with non-traditional career paths.
The project will focus on the high-pressure-temperature structure and phase stability of the iron-carbon system, with applications to understanding the behavior of materials under extreme conditions and their implications for the interiors of Earth and exoplanets. The project will involve using high-powered lasers to dynamically compress materials to the extreme pressure and temperature conditions of planetary cores, collecting diffraction and laser interferometry data. The candidate will be responsible for designing and conducting experiments at National User Facilities and analyzing experimental data.
- Ph.D. in Geosciences, Physics, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Strong hands-on experimental skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a group environment.
- Expertise with high-pressure experiments, whether dynamic or static.
- The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of an additional year pending progress and availability of funds. The position is expected to be available starting Fall 2022 and will remain open until filled.
Application Materials Required:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (including publications)
- Statement of research interests, and the contact information of three references.
Inquiries can be sent to Sally Tracy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We believe academic environments should be places where diverse groups of people with a variety of viewpoints and ideas can thrive and work together. As such, we encourage applicants from under-represented groups and backgrounds to apply.
The Carnegie Institution is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or another protected group status.