Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, D.C. (Hybrid)
The Staff Accountant ensures timely, accurate payment of invoices and supports month-end close for the Headquarters division. Supports financial staff by performing administrative duties and coordinating related functions. This is a non-exempt position.
- Ensures timely, accurate payment of all headquarters’ invoices and maintains proper supporting documentation for paid bills. Maintains accounts payable files on a current basis, including W-8 and W-9 forms.
- Receives, reviews, and processes all purchase orders and invoices in a timely fashion. Applies the appropriate tests to determine accuracy and legitimacy (checks math, supporting documentation, authorization). Performs research to answer staff and vendor questions regarding billings. Takes the initiative to identify and resolve billing problems.
- Verifies 1099 information in preparation for the annual reporting.
- Reviews and process all employee credit card reconciliations.
- Posts bank transactions including ACH payments, manual checks, and deposits.
- Supports team with the full cycle close process including accounts receivable, payroll, fixed assets, cash accounts, and general accounting ledger journal entries.
- Prepares monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Assists in monitoring compliance with Institution’s various financial policies including the procurement and record retention policy.
- Support the annual audit and 990 processes by preparing schedules and pulling support for samples.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- B.S. degree in Accounting
- 0-2 years experience working in an accounting or auditing department
- Understanding of GAAP and non-profit accounting
- Great organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible team player
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative and service-oriented fashion.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple projects in parallel on an ongoing basis.
- Netsuite experience is a plus
- Experience with Big 4 Accounting Firm
- Highly skilled in using MS Excel spreadsheets
At Carnegie, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We believe academic environments should be places where diverse groups of people with a variety of viewpoints and ideas can thrive and work together. As such, we encourage applicants from under-represented groups and backgrounds to apply.
The Carnegie Institution is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other protected group status.