Department: HQ – Headquarters
Location: Washington, DC
Math for America DC
CARNEGIE INSTITUTION FOR SCIENCE
JOB TITLE: Math for America DC (MfA DC), Master Teacher (MT) Program Coordinator
LOCATION: Carnegie Institution for Science headquarters, Washington, DC
STATUS: part-time position (without benefits)
HOURS: as needed; no more than 19 hours per week
SALARY: salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications
Math for America DC (MfA DC) is a program of the Carnegie Institution for Science and associated with the nationwide Math for America in New York City. Its goal is to provide outstanding and highly effective teachers of mathematics for every child in DC public and public charter secondary schools (grades 6-12).
The MT Program Coordinator will participate in all aspects of the Master Teacher program in collaboration with and under the supervision of the Executive Director including: planning and coordination of the Master Teaching program, overseeing recruitment of MfA DC Master Teachers, provision of professional development to Fellows by Master Teachers; provision of professional development for the Master Teachers, fostering community building among the MfA DC Teachers, building partnerships with DC public schools, building and promoting MfA DC brand and the Program’s online presence, advocacy, coordination with the MfA National office in New York and other MfA sites, and overall oversight of all MfA DC Master Teacher program related activities.
The MT Program Coordinator will have primary responsibility for undertaking these efforts, in conjunction with the MfA DC Executive Director.
The work falls into the main areas: Essential Job Functions
- Support the Executive Director with running MfA DC Master Teacher program.
- Support to coordinate activities required for the recruitment, support, and professional development of the MfA DC Master Teachers and provision of professional development for the Fellows.
- Support with admission process to the MTF Program.
- Foster MfA DC’s MT Fellowship and seek promotional opportunities for the Program.
- Create online communication to increase the organization’s and the MT program visibility.
- Building successful partnerships with the District’s public schools, other organizations, and seek and promote opportunity for partnerships.
- Serve as the central contact and support for all MfA DC Master Teachers.
- Create programmatic reports and online communication for the MfA DC’s Board and MfA National in NY.
- Participate in weekday/weekend activities (as needed) and oversee logistics for MfA MT events.
- Maintain communication with MfA NY, coordinate MT publications, printed and web-based using the MfA style.
Non-essential Job Functions
- Evening/weekend working hours; planning for own travel as needed.
Performs other duties and responsibilities of a similar nature and character that are essential to the success of MfA DC’s Master Teacher Program particularly in response to recommendations by the MfA DC Board and the Executive Director.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in mathematics
- Master’s degree in math education
- Significant secondary (grades 6-12) mathematics field teaching experience (a minimum of 10 years)
- A strong knowledge of mathematics and mathematics teaching standards including DC public schools
- Meaningful experience with teacher training and/or teacher professional development
- Enthusiasm for mathematics and teaching of mathematics
- Ability and preference with a team approach to working
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge and significant experience with Microsoft Office
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications (a benefits package is not included).
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume. Only applications with both cover letters and resumes will be considered. No phone or email inquiries please. Please apply by clicking on the below link:
All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.