Department: DGE – Global Ecology
Salary: $77,000 and comprehensive benefits
Location: Stanford, CA
Carnegie Institution for Science Department of Global Ecology (DGE) at Stanford is seeking creative, collaborative postdoctoral scholars to advance our work on climate mitigation and adaptation solutions to food, energy, and water systems. Research will be highly data-driven, through quantitative research and spatial model development.
Fellows will work primarily under the guidance of Dr. Lorenzo Rosa, with opportunities to collaborate with other researchers at DGE, Stanford University, and beyond. Scientists at DGE conduct basic and applied research into the interactions among the Earth’s ecosystems and people. Fellows will collaboratively design and conduct cutting-edge research, publish results in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific conferences.
Our research focuses on assessing the potential benefits and unintended climate and environmental consequences of innovations engineered to satisfy the increasing global demand for food, energy, and water. In our work, we aim to address the most urgent questions surrounding the sustainability of the Earth System. There will be flexibility regarding scientific questions to be studied, but potential areas of focus include:
- Analyzing solutions to water scarcity under global warming, including water storage and desalination;
- Quantifying climate change impacts on agriculture and water resources;
- Assessing solutions to achieve net-zero emissions in agriculture;
- Determining the techno-environmental potential of climate mitigation technologies;
Postdoctoral Fellows typically lead projects and help on other projects; peer-reviewed publication of results in high-quality journals is the norm. We want to hire people who see helping the group be successful as a key element in their own success strategy.
Postdoctoral Fellows at DGE have access to valuable research resources to launch successful scientific careers in academia and industry. Research resources include technical support staff, research equipment, and computing/IT resources. DGE seeks to provide a culture of mentoring and professional development for all postdoctoral scientists; additional professional development/training programs are offered internally.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other scientists to design, implement, analyze and summarize innovative research;
- Publish results in high-quality, peer-reviewed journals;
- Present results at conferences and seminars.
- Ph.D. in any scientific or engineering discipline with a grounding in energy, agriculture, hydrology, earth and environmental science, or related field;
- Analyses of large spatio-temporal agricultural datasets;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong quantitative analysis skills;
- Evidence of ability to work independently and in teams;
- Commitment to a collegial and inclusive workplace.
Multiple positions are available with flexible start dates to begin within 12 months. Although initial appointments are for one year, the position is renewable and postdocs in the Department usually stay for two to three years. Carnegie offers competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. Applications will only be considered when submitted through our application portal. Applicants are required to submit a CV, a statement of research interests, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references. Please contact Lorenzo Rosa (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the position.
Carnegie is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse research community and we encourage applications by members of all underrepresented groups.
Please submit your application by clicking on the Apply Now box below or visit this link here: